Monday, July 04, 2005

Looking for Adventure in a Land Rover

Hah – to boldly go. Such noble sentiments. Who did I think I was – Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Starship Enterprise?

Well, I was about to set forth and explore the world. Hardly the universe, I know, but further than the local shopping mall, that most people’s lives revolve around these days. The "adventure" of shopping I believe they call it. More like the credit card people boldly going where none had gone before – creating a debt-ridden society desperately seeking a champagne life on a beer allowance.

So, what was I seeking with my adventure – a beer life on a crust of bread allowance? I was about to take off on an odyssey, with rather limited finances. I planned to drive around the world in a classic, old Land Rover, in the company of my husband, (TH), and two acquaintances, who were in an even older Land Rover.

I called it an odyssey, but I don’t believe that I really understood that term, then. Of course, I knew what "Webster’s Dictionary said: "A long journey marked by wanderings, adventures and hardships." Sounds really thrilling, doesn’t it? Those words – "long journey" and "adventures and hardships" – they evoke such an emotional response. I can almost hear your hearts "gonging" in resonance, just as mine did at that time.

But, it wasn’t at all heroic like that. There was a lot of drudgery and being uncomfortable, all stirred up with large dollops each of uncertainty and angst. And yes, there was a fair amount of enjoyment and sheer fascination, with the odd souring by acid drops of frustration and anger.

But, I’m getting ahead of myself. I need go back to where I started. Split infinitive it might be, but I did really think I was about to "boldly go" on the adventure of a lifetime. I was going to circumnavigate the globe in an ancient Land Rover.

I was about to really learn what the word odyssey meant and it would change my life forever.


© Eventful Woman, 2005

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:33 pm

    Enjoying this entry more. I think it's the emphasis on doing - I like positive more than negative. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There'll be a lot more doing, coming up.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think of this story.