Thursday, November 20, 2014

Aliens invade my garden


Bold pinks and purples invade my New Zealand native garden. Not from some mutant hebe, but from the neighbour’s busy lizzies (impatiens walleriana), which have thrust through the fence and taken root.

This garden began with careful planting to intermingle green flax and ferns with tawny tussock grass. Pukas and nikau palms were added for texture and, for colour, the hebes with their soft mauve flowers. A large puriri tree presides over all. Looking out of my study window, I love the view and the way the sun gleams on the crinkly leaves of the puriri.
Crinkly Puriri leaves above the busy lizzies

Initially I frowned at the neighbour’s interlopers. However, I have come to appreciate their bright colours and the determined way they have hustled their way in. Their boldness is an inspiration for a would-be writer’s garden, as they remind of two personality traits necessary for success – persistency and the need to stand out from the crowd.

I know that “to boldly go” is a split infinitive, but somehow “to go boldly” sounds too cumbersome for these cheerful busy lizzies. So, to quote another line from Star Trek, may they “live long and prosper”.


Copyright of all photos belongs to Eventful Woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, tell me what you think of this story.